Thursday, May 31, 2012

Reflection on Web 2.0 Tools


As a bachelor student I had 6 courses including a course called Management Information System “MIS” which is in my opinion one of the most interesting courses I have took in this semester. In this course we had three projects; the first one was to train the class on one of Web 2.0 tools, the second one was to using the Web 2.0 tools to create a blog and a site, and the final one was a teaching project.

In the first project as I mentioned we had to prepare a training session for the class to teach them how to use Web 2.0 tools.  In this post I will reflect on these tools starting with my favorites.



Picasa: this is my favorite tool because it deals with pictures. This tool helped me a lot in arranging and editing my photos in an easy and fast way. 



Blog: from the first sight I thought blogging is boring but when I started using it for my practical project I found out how interesting it is. Blogging helped me share my ideas and thoughts with my friends.



Google Chrome: what a fantastic web browser, it is easy, fast and convenient; you can customize it and add the features you like just by a click. Therefore, it is my default browser now.



Google Docs: at the beginning I couldn’t understand this tool and I thought it was kind of annoying, however, when I used it for one of my projects I understood how beneficial this tool is especially when you working in a group. It makes it easier for everyone in the group to see the changes you made without the need to send them the documents.



Twitter: I started to use it a lot after the training because it gave me the opportunity to follow whoever I like without waiting for permission. Another thing I liked about twitter is the fact that I can retweet what I like.



Gmail: this tool is amazing; it gives you the benefit of both storage space and speed. Moreover, it allows you to create tasks within your e-mail and filter your mails and categorize them.



Google Site: I used this tool to share my experience in using the different Web 2.0 tools. At first it was confusing for me because I wasn’t used to work with it, however, after doing 2 pages I started to like it and it became easier by time.



Google Searching: who doesn’t like this tool, it is helpful and we use it every day for personal or educational search.




Social Bookmarking (Delicious): Is a great tool to arrange your links into stacks and share them with your group members, however, I didn’t use it a lot.



Google Reader: I actually used this tool couple of times to keep myself updated with the most recent news and my friends’ blog posts.



Google Earth: this tool is nice to explore new places; I used it to add photos I took to the places I visited.



Google Calendar: I never used this tool after the session because I think it is complicated.



Facebook: this is my least favorite tool, I was familiar to it before the session and I didn’t like it at all, however, they have good games there so mostly I used it to play games.

To sum up, I believe that doing this project gave us the opportunity to enhance our skills in addition to actually learn new things that can benefit us in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment